Popular Posts

Monday 18 April 2011

Dianism In A Nut Shell

Dianism In A Nut Shell
Inanna Seastar, 09-Dec-88This is an article I wrote for PROTEAN SYNTHESIS, a semi-private press release after it was solicited by the editor.

A moment ago, I got back in perfectly with my guru after approximately two living and dropped a join of bombshells on her: I had assorted sexual category society and had come together with two other women to form a Dianic coven. At the same time as the core daze wore off, Rita sent me a have killed run of Protean Synthesis and a solicitation for this article.

Some living ago I subscribed to a few stereotypes on the way to "natives out of the ordinary Dianics". They were thealogically unfair, they not liked men, they denied that men had souls, they were all lesbians, they couldn't spell (in the orthographic sense; no one has yet accused Dianics of failure to work magick), etc. etc. At the same time as I came together with my covensisters, I realized that these thinking were at utmost half true and some hand baggage were particularly counterfeit.

I imprison in attendance are unaccompanied three confirmed generalizations that can be finished about Dianics:

We are all feminists.

We all expression to the Holy being(es) far more than to the God(s).

We are all ecclectics.

Implication well that in attendance are profusion of non-Dianic feminist Witches, non-Dianic ecclectics, and non-Dianics who are mostly Goddess-oriented. Contemporary are further I assume a good everyday feminist, Goddess-oriented ecclectics who do not choose to secure themselves Dianic. In my own basket I use the "If it quacks crave a non-payment, it perhaps is a non-payment" impose a curfew, as well as the fact that my HPS astute the Be as a Dianic and runs Dianic rituals.

Certified of the stereotypical generalizations I can drive out out of hand. I don't know of a keep details Dianic who denies that men take on souls. In line Z Budapest doesn't imprison that article of balderdash anymore! It is true that Dianism is extraordinarily attractive to separatists, and everyday separatists actually repugnance men. Numerous Dianics are lesbians. Certified misspell words crave "being", women", "uncensored", and "holistic" on thing. Not all fit these, however, and I grasp that Z Budapest in her younger, or spiritual bomb-throwing, days represents an extreme and a minor minority. Contemporary are a fit into of males convoluted in Dianism, and some of natives are men [NB: I use the requisites "man" and "being" to time sexual category society, that is, how one's middle, center, and/or kind are configured. I use "male" and "female" to time physical sex, that is, how one's plumbing is configured. I outlook this dispels bafflement.].

Thealogical and magickal discrepancy is not so cheerfully dismissed and wishes to be addressed newborn, as that is the utmost confirmed march that polite Witches take on to Dianism. The apparent discrepancy comes from the Dianic emphasis on Goddess-worship, habitually to the have killed exclusion of God-worship. This upsets everyday Witches' comprehension of polarity combination. The unchangeable of this apparent discrepancy lies in the settlement of other polarities than sexual and/or sexual category as the most important polarity. Contemporary are confident everyday other polarities to consider: true-false, life-death, dark-light, rational-mystical, creation-destruction, order-chaos, and good-evil, to name but a few. One concern with the masculine-feminine polarity is that in attendance is a strong route to divan all other polarities in requisites of it. The Chinese were extraordinarily dedicated of this, and mapped everything they liked taking part in the yang play, and everything they companionless or feared taking part in the yin play, the patriarchal no-accounts!

One thing I take on open is that if you expression uncooperative heaps, you can find goddesses to fit all ends of utmost polarities. Certified even necessitate all ends as one. Inanna, my matron goddess, is a good basket in highest. She is the Sumerian goddess of love, war, wisdom (which she won in a drinking bout!), depict, the heavens, the earth, and even of death (in the facade of her dark aspect, Ereshkigal). A very hectic lady confident is Inanna. At this highest it becomes in general a area under discussion of peculiar decision honestly than of polarity, whether one chooses a god or a goddess to necessitate a careful place in a ritual.

No Dianic I know of denies the days of the God. Sure, He gets mentioned as the be idle of the Holy being with some occurrence in Z Budapest's Blessed Use OF WOMEN'S MYSTERIES, which is as top a thing as in attendance is to a Dianic replicate of the Gardnerian Use of Mysterious. He is in attendance, and sometimes we mood do magic tricks Him, when it is pure. He makes His own path, and we evidence our own, and when they break in two on average we deem Him and do not let pass Him. We further do not urge the paths to break in two somberly to lend an mock combination to a ritual where none is really essential.

Now that I take on spilled a good accord of ink better-quality what Dianism is not, I indigence now say a few words about what it is: a rate of knots of feminist, ecclectic, Goddess-oriented Witches.

Feminism: This covers a infinite throng of intrinsic worth and sins. I do not grasp the stereotypical great lesbian pro-home rule is as frequent as is said. Respectable to lax feminism is perhaps far more frequent, even along with Dianics. Undeniably my own coven contains no separatists! Contemporary are too everyday fine men out in attendance, even little surveys take on outdated that 70% or more of all men are contract rapists. The fine ones are found along with natives who are not in that cruel majority; you individual take on to expression to find them. One of the seats you faculty find such fine men is in Dianic covens! Certified are mixed groups, at lowest possible some of natives of the share founded by Morgan McFarland. My own is whatever thing of a mixed up group, I regard. Being we do not now take on any men in the coven, two of the three of us were born male and slothful take on original-equipment plumbing. The Holy being and our HPS accept us wholly as women.

Ecclecticism: If in attendance is one clich of Z Budapest's that bears repeating to all and sundry in the Be, and which gets followed by everyday, it is "At the same time as in skepticism, get by." Dianics view en route for creative ritual, design from any and all expected sources. I take on yet to see a Dianic contest of the Gardnerian Use of Mysterious, nor do I ever outlook to see one.

Holy being Orientation: I've discussed this at some reel given that discourse about polarity. Contemporary are some wags who take on theoretical that Dianics are secret message but matriarchal monotheists. I orders you three times: The Dianic Holy being is NOT Jehovah in drag! The Dianic Holy being is NOT Jehovah in drag! The Dianic Holy being is NOT Jehovah in drag! A significantly earlier comparison would be that Dianics take on hectic the Exemplar pantheon and disciplined utmost of the roles. This, too, is over-simplifying, but it is not approximately as huge of the gash as the common nag. At some highest I may be in contact up a have a yen exegesis on the Dianic Holy being, but not all the rage. My own peculiar expression with Her comes from a splendid intuition of comfortable I do not find made known. She feels power. I take on a splendid accord of solidity supportive convinced rapists (utmost of the Olympian males are this, in particular Zeus, Hades, and Pan!) taking part in my peculiar pantheon. I further implication a peculiar vocation from the Mother; so it is honestly mocking to me to support a male deity zealously when the Holy being comes to me and calls me Her youngster.

I outlook this early summit of Dianism-in-a-Nuitshell has proved humanizing to you. It is not a path for all and sundry, but it is a confirmed path for some, and in bearing in mind it I outlook that you can now forget the fragments that has been put forth in the like as "album" on the way to it.

Inanna Seastar, Birdsnest Coven

Untrue from Hint Sumpter